St. Edward the Confessor

 

The patron saint of St. Edward Parish is St. Edward the Confessor. Edward became the King of England at the age of about 40.  His reign was one of almost unbroken peace during which his aim was the welfare of his people.

The statue of St. Edward that sits in the narthex is a wood carving from Italy, which arrived in Lebanon in 1979.  The church on the pedestal represents the Norman shrine at Westminster, which was built by St. Edward in fulfillment of a vow. 

The ring on his right hand recalls the ring given as alms to a beggar.  The beggar appealed at a time when the king had no money in his coin purse, so Edward gave his ring. St. John the Evangelist warned Edward that when the ring would be returned he would have a short time to prepare to meet our Lord. In the winter of 1065, the ring was returned to King Edward by some pilgrims.  Edward died in January of the year 1066.

His piety gained him the surname "the Confessor." He was canonized in 1161 by Pope Alexander III. His feast day is celebrated on October 13.